To be fit is to be healthy, they say. Fitness is often achieved by workouts, stringent diet plans and other relaxing techniques. But a new way to achieve fitness or boost your workout schedule is through aromatherapy. You can use essential oils to gain a positive attitude about fitness and workouts and thereby, use them to get into perfect shape. Essential oils can aid in boosting your confidence and increasing your sense of commitment to a workout. Some oils are activating, while others are soothing or odor-fighting.
Essential oil workout blends: You can use the following workout blends to improve your exercise regime or inspire you to perform a thorough workout.
1. Inspiring blends: These essential oil blends can inspire and invigorate you to perform a thorough workout. You can use any of the following oils to prepare a blend – Basil, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Fir Needle, Ginger, Grapefruit, Juniper Berry, Petitgrain, Orange, Lime, Rosemary, Thyme, Lemongrass, Lemon, Lavender and others.
2. Relaxing blends: After a workout, you are left with sore or tender muscles which need relaxation. To soothe your muscles after relaxation, use the following oils – Cedarwood, Chamomile, Jasmine, Frankincense, Lavender, Neroli, Rose, Rosewood, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang and Patchouli.
3. Anti-odor and Refreshing blends: When it comes to anti-odor oils or refreshing oils, Citrus oils stand out of the crowd. You can use Bergamot, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime, Orange, Fir needle, Juniper Berry, Lavender, Orange, Tangerine etc. Essential oils like Coriander, Fir needle, Juniper Berry, and Lavender annihilate odors and refresh yourself.
Application of essential oils: You need to be careful before applying essential oils on to your skin. This is because, though healers, essential oils are concentrated plant substances that should not be applied to skin directly. In order to be safe with essential oils, you need to add essential oils with carrier oils. This would avoid the aromas from distracting you from work outs and from fellow gym users. Even a light dose of the essential oils can become stronger as you work out. Body heat can react vigorously with your oil dose and produce an overwhelming effect.
To include essential oils in your workout regimes, add 1% of the chosen oil to carrier oils like vegetable oils, mineral salts, pure water, unscented bath products (like shampoos, conditioners, gels etc). You can also use a water spray mister to enjoy workout blends. You can spray the blends on to your workout towel for inhalation and other purposes.
4. Workout Blend: If you are not inspired to go for your regular workout, use this blend of energizing oils – Lemon, Lavender, Petitgrain, Rosemary and Eucalyptus.
5. After Workout Blend: When you are out of a workout, you will be tired and will have sore muscles. This After-Workout Blend will have a soothing and therapeutic effect of your body. You can use Cedarwood, Chamomile, Jasmine, Lavender and Rose to prepare this blend and then, massage it on to your body.
6. After Workout Shower Blend: This is ideal for use during an after workout shower. You can wash away the grime and sweat you have accumulated after your workout with this aromatic blend. Use refreshing oils like Lavender, Coriander, Grapefruit and Tangerine to prepare a blend and apply while showering.