Aromatherapy is not an one-time remedy for ailments. It is an ongoing therapy wherein we use essential oils to alleviate symptoms or treat disorders and thereby, reduce our pain or suffering or health related problems. Aromatherapy blends are used in skin care, personal care, as cure for major diseases, as aromatic air fresheners, bath salts and for massaging purposes. It is a diverse field comprising of oils made from plant substances like extracts, herbs, barks, resins, roots and other plant parts. It takes a lot of time to analyze and use such a multifarious science and hence, a novice may need guidance on which oils are important and which cure the common ailments. This article will throw light on the most commonly used essential oil blends for emotional, physical and family well being.
All-time-useful essential oil blends: All these blends are formulated by Dr. Carolyn Selby. These are essential oils blends which help with common conditions like emotional downs, physical stress or body pain, disruptions in family relationships or infected home environment etc.
1. Stress Buster blend: This blend is ideal for improving your emotional well being and is best used as a massage oil. Add 2 drops of Clary Sage to 2 drops of Frankincense and 1 drop of Sandalwood. Blend with 1 tbsp of Almond or Grapeseed oil and mix the ingredients well. Apply the prepared blend on the back, neck and shoulders for a relaxing and soothing effect.
2. Relaxing Bath blend: If you are down with the blues, nothing can cheer you up as a well-prepared aromatic bath. For a stress-buster bath, mix 4 drops of Bergamot with 4 drops of Geranium and 2 drops of Vetiver and disperse the oils well in a warm bath water. For unscented bubble bath, blend the oils with 1 tbsp of Grapeseed. Soak for about 15-20 minutes in the bath water and inhale the vapors that emanate. You will feel extraordinarily refreshed and stress-free after the bath. Do not let the water get into your eyes as it may sometimes cause irritation.
3. Concentration Tonic: The power of focus is a gift not found in many. To improve your power of concentration and clear your head of worries and fears before exams or interviews, put 1 or 2 drops of Basil or Rosemary in a tissue and sniff before the event/exam/interview. You will feel confident and focused on the job at hand.
4. Nasal Congestion clearance: For clearing nasal congestion (a common condition with many), use 4 drops of Niaouli with 2 drops of Rosemary and 2 drops of Tea Tree oil and disperse into warm bath water. Soak for 15 to 20 minutes and inhale the vapors. Your nostrils will be cleared and you will feel relieved after this.
5. Headache Relief Massage Blend: Headache is one of the most common ailments with everyone in the family. Aromatherapy can help treat headaches with essential oils. Add 2 drops of Lavender with 2 drops of Marjoram and 1 drop of Peppermint. Blend the mixture with 1 tbsp of Almond or Grapeseed oil and massage on to the upper back, neck and shoulders. Apply to temples and other painful areas. You can alternatively put these on a tissue and also inhale.
6. For Insomnia Relief: Many people are afflicted with the insomnia bug. To cure sleeplessness, add 4 drops of Roman Chamomile to 4 drops of Clary Sage and 2 drops of Neroli and disperse in warm bath water. Soak for 15 to 20 minutes, inhaling the vapors. You will feel sleepy after this treatment.
7. Anti-aging Cure: Aging is a chief skin care issue these days. This aromatherapy blend can help in reducing wrinkles and act as a base cream for nourishing skin. To prepare the cream, add 4 drops of Frankincense with 4 drops of Petitgrain and 3 drops of Rose Otto. Mix the oils with 5 ml of Evening Primrose oil, 5 ml of Wheatgram oil and 25 ml of plain base cream. When the blend is done, store in an airtight glass jar and apply to the face and neck daily in the morning and night.