It is often considered a curse. Some people call it a monthly disorder. Others treat it as a mood-syndrome that rhymes with the moon cycle. Only a few see it as a periodical cleansing of toxins from the body. We are talking about Premenstrual Syndrome or what is better known as PMS. PMS is common among women who menstruate. It is a collection of disorders which ranges from headaches, stomach disorders, breast swelling to extreme mood swings and unusual behavior. Though not all women experience severe PMS, most women have it, thanks to the increase in stress levels and lifestyle changes.
Though PMS symptoms last only for 3 to 5 days, it can be very debilitating. Women throw temper tantrums, go through a short state of depression and irritability during this period. Though there are many oral pills to treat the symptoms, nothing offers instant and natural relief as aromatherapy. In many ways, aromatherapy essential oils are the best remedies for PMS. You can find great relief to any kind of Premenstrual Syndrome symptom by taking an aromatherapy massage or inhaling a diffuser oil or bathing in aromatic water.
Essential oils for menstrual cramps: PMS is characterized by depression, irritability, mood swings, migraines, backaches, temper tantrums, breast tenderness and swelling, water retention etc. Women often tend to be touchy during this period so much so that any frustrating incident can make them highly reactive and emotional. One can avoid the pain of PMS by using essential oils in a variety of ways. Some of the essential oils which help with PMS relief are Neroli, Rose, Jasmine, Clary Sage, Lavender, Geranium, Marjoram, Rose and Chamomile.
1. For moody behavior: Nothing can beat Clary Sage in treating depression and mood swings. Women tend to be emotionally hyperactive during PMS and hence a dose of Clary Sage would be helpful in keeping them normal and down to earth. Temper tantrums can be reduced by using Lavender, Neroli, Jasmine and Rose.
2. For bloating and breast tenderness: Breast tenderness and heaviness is common during this period. Women suffer from the pain of swollen breasts and bloated bodies. To alleviate these symptoms, you can use Juniper Berry, Patchouli, Grapefruit and Carrot seed oils. Birch oil can also be used as it is a natural pain reliever.
3. For water retention and headaches: Juniper Berry is the ideal antidote for water retention. If you are afflicted with headaches, inhale Lavender, Marjoram or Rose for relief.
It is better if you use all these remedies a couple of days before your PMS starts. Sometimes you may experience symptoms like hypertension, acne and fatigue. You can use the appropriate essential oil blends for the same.
4. For uplifting mood: If you are down to the dumps, try this aromatherapy recipe. Add 9 drops of Geranium oil with 6 drops of Chamomile, 3 drops of Clary Sage, 3 drops of Angelica, 2 drops of Marjoram and 2 oz of vegetable oil. Blend everything together and massage the oil on to the body or add a few drops in your bath water. The recipe is a great mood enhancer which gets you out of the blues even if you don’t have PMS.
5. For migraine relief: Add 6 drops of Lavender to 3 drops of Juniper Berry, 2 drops of Birch and 1 drop of Patchouli and mix the ingredients well. Include a tsp of the blend in your bath water or foot massage preparation. You will get instant relief from your migraines.