Atlanta Friday May 4th 2018 - Visit HSCG Show Exhibit Area
Cocktail Party at Georgia Aquarium - ROOM at Hilton
Your Fido’s (dog’s) health is one of the most important things for your in life. As faithful friends, dogs bring with them love, joy, affection and fun into our lives. They become integral part of ourselves, that we consider them as members of our families. These days dogs are losing their wilder instincts and becoming very tame and domesticated. This makes them less resistant to illnesses that are caused by dust, dander and allergens. Though you may have your Vet to advice you on the treatments for dogs, some basic essential oil recipes maybe of great help in times of need.
Essential oil remedies for dogs: Only recently, doctors, vets and researchers have realized the significance of essential oils in treating human and animal ailments. Aromatherapy has grown up as an alternative medicinal system after centuries of years in hiding, under the label of quackery. Recent research reveals that dogs can be relieved of their doggy lives if treated with aromatherapeutic blends made from herbs, plants and plant oils. This article will detail on the essential oil recipes that can be used to heal skin problems, prevent fleas and ticks, relieve the pain of rheumatism and control odor in dogs.
Dogs have a predictable set of ailments that occur at various stages in their lives. The essential oil blends given below will address the most prominent of such ailments:
1. Dog skin problems: Add 5 drops of Lavender with 6 drops of Geranium in a 10 ml bottle of Calendula oil and shake the mixture well. After the blend is perfect, apply on the affected skin area.
2. To kill fleas: Fleas are a real nuisance. They not just harm your pet, but infect your carpet, parquet and window coverings as well. To combat fleas, add 7.5 ml of Mint oil with 22.5 ml of alcohol (rubbing one) in a 1 oz spray bottle. Since fleas do not like the smell of Mint, they eventually die at first contact with the oil. Spray all over your house – in your bed, carpets, living room etc. Also, spray on your dog, holding the bottle at a distance of about 10 inches away. This would avoid him from sniffing too much of Mint.
3. To relieve itching: Dogs can get scratchy when they have an itching somewhere in their body. They keep on itching, causing a wound in the area. To avoid this, apply the following recipe on to the affected area: 4 drops of Lavender, 5 drops of Geranium and 3 drops of Roman Chamomile to a 10 ml bottle of Calendula oil. This will not just reduce the itching but will also heal the wound.
4. To combat ticks: Ticks maybe all over your house or your pet’s area – his bed coverings, carpets and doormats. Use a blend comprising of 10 drops of Tea Tree oil, 10 drops of Lavender oil and mix them with 10 ml of organic vegetable oil. Spray the blend in the infected areas to combat ticks. You can also apply 1 drop of Lavender and Tea Tree oils each on your dog before extracting ticks. This will make your job easier.
5. To help with rheumatism: If your dog is aging, chances are it has become a victim of rheumatism. Prepare the following blend by pouring the essential oils into a 10 ml bottle and add organic vegetable oil to fill – 8 drops of Birch, 8 drops of Juniper and 7 drops of Rosemary. Apply the blend morning and night on to your dog’s legs.
6. To control odor: Let’s accept it. Though your dog is your best friend, it smells very bad if not washed regularly. You can reduce the intensity of this dog odor with an aromatic spray. Add 10 drops of Lavender, 10 drops of Geranium and 6 drops of Lemon in a 1 oz spray bottle and spray directly on to its skin.
7. To boost its energy: You can increase the energy levels of your dog by adding 5 drops of Rosemary, 6 drops of Lavender, 2 drops of Peppermint into 10 ml bottle of organic vegetable oil. Massage the blend to the spine of the dog in the mornings. It will make your pet happier and enthusiastic than ever.