New Age living incorporates both the material and the spiritual in our lives. People of the post-modern era do not just surf or sky-dive or travel continents, but also meditate and relish in their own spirituality or godliness. Though there maybe several contradictions regarding the practice of spirituality, people who engage in it say that they have found solace and peace of mind in such practices. This article is to those few who find respite in spirituality and ruminate about a spiritual approach to life.
Essential oils for spirituality: This has happened from existence. Yes, essential oils have played a phenomenal role in the daily spiritual life of people in various religions, communities and races. Right from the ancient Indians to the Egyptians, the Greeks, the Romans and the Persians, many civilizations have used essential oils for different kinds of religious and daily worship rituals. Incorporating essential oils in your daily prayer or spiritual schedule can be a remarkable way to attain spiritual bliss and peace. Though there are a list of essential oils for spiritual practices, none is particularly designated for spirituality. In general, it is the oil of your choice. If a particular essential oil appeals to you personally, you can try using it in your spiritual practices. Who knows, it may help you connect with your higher self instantly. For instance, if Manuka or Bergamot appeal to you, you can use them in your daily worship even if they are not listed as spirituality oils.
Below are a list of few essential oils that can enhance your spiritual fervor:
1. Oils for grounding/self assertiveness: If you are low on self esteem and require oils to boost your confidence and find a way to connect to your spiritual self, these are the best: Altas Cedarwood, Frankincense, Galbanum, Myrrh, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Spikenard, Vetiver and Virginian Cedarwood. Make blends using any of the oils and use it in the diffuser in your worship or meditation room.
2. For mental cleansing: Spirituality requires patience, mental clarity and purity. If you are too much absorbed in worldly things, you may not be able to engage in good spiritual practices. To get rid of the material from your mind, use Cypress, Common Sage, Hyssop, Lemon, Lime, Juniper Berry, Myrrh, Peppermint, Spearmint and Atlas and Virginian Cedarwood.
3. For cultivating a sense of gratitude: Spirituality is all about giving thanks to the world and God. Essential oils can even enhance your sense of gratitude to others. Use Bergamot, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lemon, Lime, Neroli, Orange and Ylang Ylang to achieve this.
4. To cope with grief: Pain or grief or acute suffering can be obstacles to your faith. To free yourself from grief and trust in God or a Higher Self, use Frankincense, Helichrysum, Neroli, Rose and Sandalwood.
5. Essential oils for enlightenment: Yes, there are oils to heighten your desire for enlightenment and they are Cypress, Frankincense, Rosemary, Spikenard, Sandalwood, Helichrysum etc.
6. Other oils: Some oils in this list are hazardous to the skin, yet they help aid your sense of spiritual well being. They are Bay Laurel, Cassia, Cinnamon, Fir Needle, Ginger, Lavender, Myrtle, Scotch Pine and Spruce.