Coping with the transition from childhood to adolescence is not an easy joke. Teens have to suffer through it, parents have to labor through it. Though a dynamic period, the phase is marked by a series of physical, emotional and psychological changes. Children start realizing they are no more children and learn to cope with the adult world. Apart from changes in the self, teens face emotional issues and conflicts raised due to expectations from parents, peers and society. This makes teens go through physical and emotional ailments like sleeplessness, fatigue, anxiety and depression. There are also weight and skin issues which affects a teen’s personality among his or her peers.
Dealing with all these teen issues, demands patience and proper therapy. Aromatherapy can be a great respite for parents and teens dealing with adolescence. This article seeks to offer the various ways in which aromatherapy can be used to address teens’ problems.
Aromatherapy for teens: Teenagers, as a way of coping with their problems, try to shutdown from the outside world and recline into themselves. They often become angry, irritated, impatient, provocative, aggressive so much so that they resort to drugs and alcohol to cope with these problems. You can use aromatic blends made using essential oils to help teens cope with their adolescent issues. To create these aromatic blends, mix the essential oils in a 10 oz container of vegetable oil.
1. Communication: Add 3 drops of Sage oil, 4 drops of Lavender, and 2 drops of German Chamomile with vegetable oil. To aid teens in communication, apply this aromatic blend on the neck and shoulders or add 20 drops of it in bath water. Better, ask your teen to rub it on to palm and inhale deeply.
2. Anti-depressant: Add 3 drops of Ylang Ylang, 4 drops of Orange, 4 drops of Grapefruit with vegetable oil base and massage on to your teen’s solar plexus. This is an invigorating blend which will help your teen open up to problems and develop a positive attitude.
3. Sleep Problems: If your teen is having insomnia problems, prepare a blend with 2 drops of Roman Chamomile, 4 drops of Petitgrain, and 4 drops of basil with vegetable base oil. Massage the blend on to neck, shoulders, temples and forehead or pour 20 drops of it into warm bath water and make your teen soak for at least 15 minutes.
4. Anger suppressant: If your teen is impatient, angry or aggressive more than usual, add 4 drops of Marjoram, 1 drop of Rose and 1 drop of Jasmine otto with vegetable base oil and massage on the heart chakra, sacrum and solar plexus.
5. Escapism: Encourage your teen to perform confidently and face issues with faith and hope with this blend. Add 4 drops of cedarwood, 3 drops of cypress and 3 drops of rosemary with base oil and massage on to sacrum and solar plexus. If possible, ask your teen to pour a few drops on the hands and inhale deeply.