Thanksgiving, as you all know, is all about fun, food and celebration. You have guests coming in all time of the day and children freaking out in and out of the house every now and then. The kitchen is also very busy during Thanksgiving, thanks to our generous hospitality and willingness to get together with friends, family and loved ones. Though the festivity comes with its own share of the sensory delights like the smell of pumpkin, the aroma of cooking food and the joy of crisp air and pecan pies, it has its share of trouble too. With guests hovering around your house, you will have little time to set things in proper order. This is when you can use essential oils to make your home aromatic and a pleasant place for guests to stay.
Essential oils for Thanksgiving: Below are a list of recipes/oil blends you can use for various purposes in Thanksgiving:
1. Scenting your home: Before your guests arrive, you can scent your room with either a blend of Cinnamon, Clove or Orange oils or Cinnamon, Clove and Vanilla oils. For a dramatic and pleasing visual display, you can even set out Clove-studded oranges in some area of your living room. The scent will waft through the air for a long time and keep guests lively and happy.
2. For bathroom odors: An ill-kept bathroom or toilet can be a disgrace to you as a host. To clear your bathroom of odors, use a blend of Lavender and Thyme. You can even put a bowl of pebbles on top of your toilet and add the blend into it.
3. For children’s rooms: If you have trouble with children, arrange a separate room for them. To make them stay glued to the room, you can use a few essential oils they generally like. This includes Citrus odors like Tangerine, Grapefruit and Lemon essential oil. You can either diffuse it or spray this in children’s rooms.
4. For avoiding strong cooking odors: If your kitchen happens to be close by your living room, guests can experience strong cooking odors. Some of them can be disturbing and un-aromatic to people. To avoid this, boil a large pot of water and add a drop or two of Clove oil to it. Remove from heat and place the blend in one corner of kitchen.
5. For conversational atmosphere: Post-dinner time is usually set aside for conversation. Use scents like Basil, Rosemary and Lavender or Grapefruit for a creating a relaxed conversational environment at your home.
6. For sanitizing home: To kill germs or insects, use Lemon Eucalyptus with Citronella. To stop the spread of infection in crowded rooms, use a blend of Eucalyptus, Tea Tree oil and Lavender. You can add the blend to a humidifier for better benefits.
7. For aromatic bathing: After the heavy food and chatter of the Thanksgiving day, your guests may want to cope up with indigestion or fatigue. You can help them with an aromatic bath oil made of two drops of Lavender, Grapefruit and Rosemary oils.