Atlanta Friday May 4th 2018 - Visit HSCG Show Exhibit Area
Cocktail Party at Georgia Aquarium - ROOM at Hilton
Aromatherapy can be used to clear a variety of ailments and sore throat is one of them. Yes, you can cure your sore throat infection through remedies made using essential oils. It is said that many European singers preserved their voices for centuries using essential oils and herbs. This article will throw light on the tested and proven sore throat remedies prevalent in aromatherapy.
Sore throat cause: Sore throat happens due to bacterial infection. Sometimes it can be a result of a lot of yelling, singing, talking or constant and aggressive use of voice box. The throat can be inflamed by bacteria that often it becomes difficult to even swallow food. Sometimes the voice box is infected, leading to laryngitis which impairs speech and makes it difficult to talk. Though sore throat is a very common condition, it can be a painful experience to contend with. Ancient singers, musicians and speakers knew that herbs mixed with honey can be a good remedy for sore throat. They kept their voices immaculate only using herbal and essential oil remedies.
Essential oil blends for sore throat: Essential oils can help with ready-made, no-side effect remedies for sore throat. It is better that you get to know a little about oil blending, extraction etc. before trying out these remedies. This is because, throat is a sensitive part of the body and hence should not be dabbled with anything and everything. Below are a few remedies or sore throat treatments with essential oils:
1. Marjoram herb: One of the most popular sore throat and laryngitis cure is marjoram and herbal tea sweetened with honey. Like the herb, the Marjoram oil is also a great killer of bacterial infections. It is antiseptic and anti-inflammatory and a good choice to treat throat problems.
2. Essential oils for gargling: You can choose from a wide range of essential oils, but these are the most useful ones – Sage, Hyssop and Thyme. You can gargle or spray any of these oils into the throat. When such antibacterial oils come in contact with bacteria in the throat, the relief is immediate. However, it is always better to avoid oils in high concentrated states as they can even harm or cause rashes in the throat if you are sensitive to aromatherapy. In case of emergencies, you can dilute a few drops of essential oils in 2 oz of water and then, spray it directly. Other essential oils for sore throat include Bergamot, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemon, Sandalwood and Tea Tree.
3. Recipe for throat spray: You can prepare the below recipe and spray it on your throat for instant relief. Mix 4 drops of Marjoram oil with ½ cup of warm water and ½ teaspoon of salt and shake well. Let the salt dissolve and oils disperse before spraying or gargling. Gargle every half an hour during the initial stages and then use several times a day for betterment.
4. Recipe for neck wrap: You can try neck wrap if you have a swollen throat or unable to swallow or if your neck is stiff. A neck wrap reduces the swelling in your glands and keeps the bacteria away, till your throat recovers fully. Use 2 drops of Lavender, 2 drops of Bergamot, 1 drop of Tea Tree oil and 2 cups of hot water for the ingredients. Mix all of them with water. When the mixture is still warm, soak into it a soft cloth, preferably flannel and wring it out. Wrap this flannel around the neck and then, cover with a towel thin enough to hold the heat. Repeat this throughout the day, soaking again and again only in case of loss of heat in the cloth.
5. Aromatherapy steam: Passing through an aromatic steam too can be of help. Steam your voice through an aromatic oils Lavender and Eucalyptus. You will feel relieved instantly, but remember not to overstress your throat before full recovery.