If we look at our lives closely, we will understand that we are using aromatherapy daily. Yes, we practice aromatherapy when we inhale the freshly baked bread, the scent of ground coffee bean, the smell of roses or other flowers. Almost everywhere, there is a streak of aromatherapy. These scents (if we like them) make us happy and pleasant and relieve our stress for a while. This is exactly what clinical aromatherapy does – it lifts us from stress. By doing this, it monitors and controls high blood pressure or hypertension.
Aromatherapy for high blood pressure: It has been found out that after the age of 55, about 30% of White American men, 20% of White American women, 50% of African American men and 40% of African American women suffer from high blood pressure or hypertension. The condition is a scary one as it leads to a lot of ailments and even turns fatal when you least expect it. The worst part is, most of this group do not know that they have high blood pressure, until they have a stroke or a kidney problem. Hypertension affects/leads to kidney failure, hardened arteries, strokes and other problems. Aromatherapy can be used as a remedy to cure this condition as essential oils used in the process alleviate one from stress and other hypertension symptoms.
Essential oils recipes for hypertension: There are many recipes to reduce stress/tension from the body. The best way out is to adopt a healthier style of living through regular exercises, massaging and stress relief remedies. Below are a few of tips and essential oil recipes to be used for treating high blood pressure:
1. Basic oils to be avoided: A certain list of essential oils are to be avoided during hypertension. These include Hyssop, Rosemary, Sage and Thyme.
2. Essential oils to be used: Clary Sage, Lavender, Marjoram, Melissa and Ylang Ylang are some of the oils to be used for reducing blood pressure. These oils can either be inhaled directly or mixed in recipes that can be massaged on to the body.
3. Blue Chamomile cure: Blue Chamomile oil is one of the best cures for aromatherapy. Carry the essential oil with you wherever you go. If you feel flushed or agitated (that is, over-tensed), use the essential oil for inhaling or diffuse it in your room and then, experience the scent.
4. Everlast massage: Everlast oil is a great massage oil and can be used this way – mix one drop of Everlast oil with 2 drops of Blue Chamomile, 10 drops of Lavender in an oz of Olive, Almond, Sunflower or other carrier oils and massage the blend on to the area under the collarbone at bedtime. This would ease your stress and reduce your blood pressure to normal levels.
5. Hydrosol baths: You can take hydrosol baths if you feel very agitated or stressed. To do this, you need to shower and clean first, and then, fill the bath tub with lukewarm water. Add 2 cup of Melissa hydrosol to the water and soak for 20 minutes. Dry yourself and then, drink tea (mostly Hypertension tea blends) and go to bed. You can also use Lavender, Rose and Geranium hydrosols for this purpose.
6. Solar Plexus massage: Use the following recipe to prepare an aromatic blend and massage on to the solar plexus and sternum. Add 20 drops of Lavender with 5 drops of Marjoram, 5 drops of Ylang Ylang, 5 drops of Lemon/Bergamot. Then, add this synergy to 2 oz of Lavender or Yarrow infused oil. You can even ask someone to massage this into your back from tailbone to neck bone.