When the seasons change, not just the landscape, even our bodies change. As we move to Spring or Autumn, we need to be prepared for the possible seasonal allergies that we can contract during the season. The shift in the weather, sudden drop or rise in temperatures, breezy climatic conditions – anything from everything can cause cold, flu or respiratory system related illnesses. Common cold is so common, yet the rigors you have to go through while experiencing it can be difficult for anyone. Intensity of your flu can depend on the effect of the virus and also the efficiency of your immune system. Essential oils can come handy in treating common cold or flu. This article will detail on how it is possible to completely cure yourself of cold symptoms with just a few oil blends.
Essential oil blends for cold and flu: Essential oils have therapeutic properties to cure you of cold-causing organisms and alleviating the symptoms of flu like congestion, headaches, body pain etc. Below are a few recipes that can be made at the convenience of your home:
1. For chest cold and cough: This blend has to be inhaled for better response. You can make the blend and add 4 to 5 drops of it to 18 oz of hot water. Cover yourself with a towel to inhale the blend without letting in external air or allowing the temperature to cool the blend. This sort of steam inhalation can help relieve your headache and cold congestion. To make the blend, combine 6 drops of Cinnamon with 6 drops of Rosemary, 6 drops of Pine and 3 drops of Thyme.
2. For seasonal allergies: If your nasal passage is completely congested, this blend can offer you instant relief. Blend together 4 drops of Eucalyptus, 4 drops of Chamomile, 3 drops of Anise, 3 drops of Lemon, 1 drop of Petitgrain and 5 ml of your favorite carrier oil. While bathing, use 15 to 18 drops of the blend in your bath water. You can even omit the carrier oil when you use a bath oil.
3. For flu, sinusitis and bronchitis: You can blend all these oils by adding them into a dark amber colored bottle and then shaking the bottle for gentle blending. To treat flu or bronchitis, mix 30 drops of Eucalyptus with 15 drops of Lavender, 12 drops of Pine, 6 drops of Marjoram and 3 drops of Thyme. When blended well, mix a few drops of the blend in a bowl of hot water and inhale the steam for about 5 to 10 minutes.
4. For prevention of cold and flu: Treatment of cold and flu is different from prevention of it. If you want to take precautions to prevent cold and flu, try this blend. To make the blend, use 5 ml of Lavender, 5 ml of Eucalyptus, 3 ml of Ravensara, 2 ml of Bay Laurel and mix together.
5. For cough: Frequent coughing can spoil your health and also irritate people around. To prevent the cough syndrome from spreading to everyone at home and to alleviate the frequency of your coughs, try this blend. Add Eucalyptus in a pan of water on low heat and put in a vaporizer or diffuser. The aroma will spread throughout your living space and enhance the health of everyone.