Latin Name: abies alba
Alternative Name: birth tree, silver fir
Forms Available: essential oil, leaf, bark, wood, seed, sap
Fir Needle oil is extracted from the needle like leaves of Silver fir tree, scientifically known as Abies Alba, also known as Birth Tree. A Druid sacred tree, the Silver Fir grows to a height of 180 feet. This was the original Christmas tree from central Europe, chosen for its long lasting, aromatic needles. The bark resin is distilled to make Strassburg turpentine. The buds and leaves are distilled to make the expectorant and antiseptic Silver Pine needle oil, which is used in cough drops and asthma inhalations, and to give pine scent to toiletries.
Aromatherapy & Health Uses: The buds and leaves are distilled to make the expectorant and antiseptic Silver Pine needle oil, which is used in cough drops and asthma inhalations.
Other Uses: The needles are burned at childbirth to bless and protect the mother and baby. Burn for Happiness; Harmony; Peace; Inspiration; and Wisdom.
Thought for the day:
Nature’s music is never over; her silences are pauses, not conclusions. -Mary Webb
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The Complete Guide to the Use of Oils in Aromatherapy & Herbalism by Julia Lawless
- Healing Power Beyond Medicine by Carol A. Wilson
- The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants as Medicines by Matthew Wood
- Aromatherapy for the Soul: Healing the Spirit with Fragrance and Essential Oils by Valerie Ann Worwood
- Genetics and breeding of the Silver Fir (Abies alba Mill.) =: Genetika i oplemenjivanje obicne jele (Abies alba Mill.) (Anali za sumarstvo) by Stefan Korpel